Wednesday, July 30, 2014

They’re Contagious





            Standing at the kitchen counter threading olives onto a sterling silver pick  gave me a momentary flash of my Dad trying to show me how to put a worm on a hook.   

        I hate fishing and I never did do that whole worm thing.  It gave me the Willies. 

        So much so that even the remembrance of it caused me to hesitate putting those olives into my Martini.  But I did it.


            I think that once you’ve had the Willies you never get rid of them.  They may lie dormant for several years, but trust me, they’re still there.   

           I’ve looked through many a medical book to better understand the Willies and much to my disappointment I got even more Willies seeing some of the photographs.  A doctor I’ll never be.  



            Different things give different people the Willies.  What might give me the Willies may not affect you at all.  Other things might send you right through the roof, while I just calmly place my hand over my beverage, keeping the plaster dust from contaminating it.
         I’m not sure if our Willie susceptibility levels differ do to our DNA or if it is simply a random, Darwinian phenomenon. 
  

         Now you see?  The last two words of that last sentence, seen together like that  just gave me the Willies all over again.



            Its sort of like seeing someone chew on a piece of tin foil.  There, see what I just did?  Now you’ve got the Willies.





No comments: