Thursday, July 31, 2014

If I Were a Pirate I'd Know




        You go through life thinking that it will never happen to you, but then ZAP!  There you are, sitting across from someone asking you to find the value of R.   I gave them the ole’ blank stare, but they did not budge; they just kept waiting for me to answer.

          Like I’m going to know algebraic equations.   Just tell me what folks would generally pay for an R and I will be able to determine its general value.   Just a guess, but I would say an R has greater value in Italy than say… Canada, but add in someone with a brogue and the value goes through the RRRRRoof.  

          Math and I have never made friends.  Like I’ve always said, there are three kinds of people, those good at math and those who aren’t.  Even in school the instructor would give me a story problem, and I would instinctively tack on another chapter.   The only thing I learned was that math teachers have a negative sense of humor.

          In addition, if I had to make my living calculating electrical depletion through a 7” 12 gauge wire, a 1-amp resister, and a 1” X 2 “X 3” copper bar, well you would have to count me among the ohm-less.

“So you see, Timmy, if you reverse the equation, then R becomes 25, and N stays in Chicago - missing the train completely.” 


No comments: