Thursday, June 23, 2022

It just doesn't happen.

 

They simply have a gift for finding it.
I’m talking about the sand.
No matter what the terrain, no matter how far removed from anything,
they suddenly come up with sand.
Enough to build their houses, their tunnels, and caverns.
Ants just know where to look.
I don’t see it.  I’d have to drive 50 miles to the beach to find sand.
They come up with it right next to my sidewalk.
I see their houses out in a field of dirt and weeds and trees.
They manage to locate sand.  Tiny grains – all they need.
I wish I could find anything that easy.
Oh, here’s something I need, right here.
And there, over by that thing, I could use that.
This is a fine place, maybe I’ll build here.
I seriously doubt there are any homeless ants.
Even in the city, downtown by the subway stairs -
there’s a small anthill. Someone lives there.
Out along the edge of the road – an anthill.
Never have I seen some lonely, unwashed ant
sleeping in a heap against a building, other ants just
walking past, ignoring them.
How sad would that be?




No comments: