Thursday, May 23, 2019

My Life as a Spectator


Even as a kid I saw the school system for what it was.  To me, it was nothing more than a collection of disgruntled teachers grousing about their wages in the teachers lounge.  I saw everyday adults splashing around in a pool of the haves and the have-nots, most flailing about - some drowning.

What to become was always the topic bandied about.  What profession to enter was always difficult.  The problem for me was I never liked any of the choices and there were no adults providing any direction or guidance.  Consequently I was just another kid who fell through the cracks.

It wasn't until it was too late that I saw the correlation between what you studied in school and the profession you chose.  Those who studied science and then became scientists became the haves.  The rest of us, working as engineers but having degrees in history or behavioral science became the have-nots.

Now, many years later, having left the rat race, I can see from the bleachers that I never really entered the game.  I was forever the observer, a spectator, and I find myself asking questions about what's next.  Is there an afterlife?  Is there something I should be doing now to better prepare myself for what's ahead?   And just what are the choices?

Am I currently experiencing a lack of guidance that will result in my misfortune in the hereafter?  The way they have this whole thing set up there really isn't anyone around to show us the ropes with respect to what's next.

I hope, of course, it will be a place filled with polite, friendly souls, with a noticeable absence of car salesmen and politicians.  I expect greed and corruption will be left behind but a sense of humor will stay with us forever.  The ability to keep learning would be great but without tests or homework.  And if we are to have jobs, for heaven's sake, let there be no employees.

Everything we know will be left behind.  The laws within society will drop away.  We'll not have speed limits or the laws of physics.  Our individual thought process will be void of speech and without our bodies we will not be able to gesture.  Though neither will we hurt, or decay. 

Keep in mind, I'm guessing.  Remember, I'm one of the ones who fell through the cracks.



Z. Corwin




No comments: