Friday, August 17, 2018

Who's There?

It wasn't my office furniture that made me feel comfortable or safe, even though I had spent a great deal of time selecting it, trying it out and making sure each piece was perfect.  It looked good and felt very comfortable.  Not at all like typical office furniture.

A great deal of time was also spent on the lighting.  There was nothing harsh or fluorescent and there were no dark areas, no corners or shadows shading potential skulduggery.  In a word, it was inviting.

But who now dare to knock upon my door?  And not at all a timid knock, but a knock of substance and persistence; forceful without being demanding. 

Again they knock.

It's not that I remain busy, too busy to be bothered with such things.  It's just a question of who.  Who, and at this hour,  dare to intrude upon my solitude?  Important papers I could have spread out here upon my desk...  A desk, I might add, I have paid a pretty penny for.  Massive and solid in it's construction, it stands as my fortress against compromise.  Never have I skimped on my surroundings.  Never did I fail to seek out the best quality, the top of the line, without - mind you, being showy or frivolous.

And they continue to knock.

Okay, perhaps one time I failed to upgrade.  Now I see the mistake I have made, now my cheapness has come back to bite me.

I remember the salesman tried to tell me.  He was persistent but at the time I could see no justification.  At the time it sounded like I'd be buying the extended warranty or paying for undercoating, obviously a careless waste of money.

No, at the time I did not see the need for adding a peephole to my office door.







No comments: