Saturday, August 11, 2018

Dear Diary


In the interest of accuracy I am writing this at the end of the week instead of at the end of each day.  That may seem like a less accurate way of doing it, but so what.

I stayed home from work on Monday and didn't even call in.   I went ahead and assumed that whoever they have manning the phones will eventually figure out that I retired several years ago.

My kid was pestering me to go to the zoo.  She wanted to see the new bear we recently got from China, so Monday afternoon we went to the zoo.  The traffic getting there was crazy and finding a place to park was no picnic either.  So we're walking, and walking, trying to make heads or tails out of the zoo map when we come to a split in the walkway.

A zoo employee sees our frustration and walks over asking if he can help.  My little girl chimes up and says we're trying to find the bear.  The employee looks at her, then at me and says, 
"Bear left."

At which point little Cindy begins to cry.

Monday doesn't pick up any from there so I'll skip ahead to Tuesday.

While making breakfast I had the opportunity to use both my cutting board and my never- needs-sharpening, cuts through anything kitchen knife.

I bought the Kryptonite cutting board from William Sonoma.  The claim was that it was impervious to cuts, scratches, stains and basically damage of any kind, even scorching.

It was while using this extremely blunt knife on this totally disfigured cutting board that I began to think about the total lack of quality and of the worthless guarantees.  It seems no one out there tells the truth anymore. 

I expect, however, had William Sonoma advertised this cutting board as an over-priced, low-end polymer, that had a life expectancy of four months tops, I wouldn't have forked over $67.00.

As far as the cost of the super-duper kitchen knife, I only have myself to blame.  It took me way too long to realize that with every shoe I cut in half, my cost was going up.

Fast forward to Wednesday: 

Dear Diary,

I signed up today for some extension classes being given by the phone company.

We went out to dinner Wednesday night.  I should mention here that I have a pet peeve.  I absolutely hate it when a waiter or waitress delivers the water glasses while holding them from the top.  The palm of their hand covers the opening of the glass while their thumb and fingers drape down the outside of the glass.  Trust me - there is no part of that glass I will drink from.

OK, so a part of me wants to remove that last paragraph because if I put this on my Blog, it breaks my rule about not whining or complaining.  On the other hand, if even one restaurant owner reads it, they just may train their employees in the proper use of a tray.  Yeah, right.

Never mind, skip ahead to Thursday.

Note:  Because I retired some years ago, I am considered by many to be old.

It is here that I will cash-in on that old thing and say, I forgot what I did on Thursday.

Maybe I should write these at the end of each day and not wait for the end of the week.



T.G.I.F.


No comments: