Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Hooky

For whatever reason I had awoken agitated.  As I dressed for work I mentally ran through all the miserable things waiting for me when I got to the job, I could envision the scowls on the morons I would have to deal with all day and I could already hear my stomach growling.  I knew I should make myself some breakfast but I didn't.  I just got into my car and blended onto the freeway with all the other morons heading off to their pathetic lives.

I glanced down at the radio but really wasn't in the mood to listen to anyone blabbering.   By the time I reached my exit I had convinced myself to take the day off.  I'd deal with the consequences tomorrow.  Today, I told myself, I'm heading to the beach.  I just didn't feel like dealing with any stupid today.

As the sun wasn't even up yet all the parking spots along the beach were empty.  I pulled into the first end spot, pumped four quarters into the meter and headed down the walkway along the row of tee-shirt shops, bars and restaurants.  The first place open was Sandy's, a poorly lit bar that smelled of ashtrays and stale beer.

The only one I saw was a cliché standing behind the bar wiping a glass with a bar towel, so as I walked in I asked him if he was open yet.  "Open 5am every day." his voice neither cheery nor welcoming.  I picked a barstool where my back wouldn't be towards the door.  I always felt more comfortable if I could see my surroundings.  I remember I had heard years ago that Doc Holliday or someone like that always sat facing the door.  Not sure why but I always remembered that.  It just seemed to make sense.

I was now on my third drink and nobody else had come in.  Don't you get any regulars in here? I asked.  Kirk, the bartender looked up at the clock.  "They'll start wandering in here pretty soon, maybe half hour."

I found it odd he had not asked me anything, where I was from, what I did for a living…nothing.  I finished my drink, paid my tab and headed out to find someplace a little more lively.  Kirk was not objectionable; he was just missing a personality.  I wanted to spend my hooky day with someone alive. 


to be continued







No comments: