Thursday, June 16, 2016

It's just unfortunate that it stinks.

Surprisingly it washed ashore
just rolled in with the tide
 
I’d love to know from whence it came
its secrets to unhide
 
Was this some pirate’s treasure
or a trinket from the sea
In either case it’s all mine now
for all whose's here is me
 
Dare I now to pick it up
or poke it with a stick
 Was it once a creature
who suddenly got sick
 
or maybe still a genie’s lamp
A rub would do the trick
 
What be this thing here at my feet
all smelly from the salt
 And should another stranger come
they’ll think it’s all my fault
 
I should leave – just walk away
pretend that its not here…

But alas - a tiny sound it made

so close I drew my ear


Again a little peep there came

A fizz and then Ker-plop

The thing began to open up

who knew it had a top?


Two steps back there in the sand
a stumble then an awkward land


Now I and it were eye to eye
I held my breath to see -


what was this strange and scary thing
that washed ashore to me

__

Then suddenly I saw it clear

It was my destiny









 
 
 


1 comment:

Pauline said...

Your destiny to find something so unusual,
Laying there so free and spunky.
It had to be there and just for YOU,
That silly pirate sock monkey!