Sunday, January 10, 2016

This has never felt like home to me.


When I hear that statement I have to wonder what it is that actually generates the feeling of being home.  Is it family, or friends?  Is it as simple as familiarly? Could it be safety or comfort, or maybe a portion of each of these things?

Whenever we contemplate moving, we wonder if that new place will feel like home.  We buy a different house, fill it up with our stuff and meet the neighbors, but then what?  Suddenly we find we’ve been plopped down in a strange community, surrounded by different stores, odd gas stations – maybe even different languages spoken here and there.  What would ever make this feel like home?

Looking at the complex motivational factors that go into moving in the first place I’m reminded of an exit interview I had at one job.  They were curious as to why I was leaving and the person on the other side of the desk said,  “People are either drawn towards something or repelled from something.  Which are you?”   Taking the high road I chose to avoid saying the job stunk, and simply suggested greener pastures awaited.

I haven’t yet discovered the secret to the feeling of home.  I’ve had it on occasion, which suggests to me that it is a fluid thing and not so much a constant reality.  I know that doesn’t help much, but for now it’s all I have.

 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

I have always heard that home is where your heart is. Well, if you put your heart into a move - then you would be home. Actually, moving is a new adventure, creates excitement and alleviates boredom. Don't be scared - it's fun and exciting!