Saturday, May 4, 2024

Default Settings

 

    I’d like to set some things in my life to default.  No longer would I have to, once again, declare plastic over paper at the supermarket.  They would see me, and automatically know plastic is fine for this customer.  They could also eliminate all the choices at the gas pump.  No, this guy never pays for premium.  He can get to the same places on regular.

    Wouldn’t it have been grand, if during my working life, every job interview had skipped right to the hiring process, and avoided that whole conversation about lack of experience, rap sheets, and time served?

    Default settings could do wonders for the medical community, as well.   No longer would we have to fill out the same lengthy forms, answer the same lame questions, or go over the tiresome health history, again and again.  One quick eye scan as we enter the building, and there we are.  Charts automatically completed, history noted, and co-pays waived.  (Yes, I altered that last bit).

    Which leads to viruses and hacking.  A hacking cough is acceptable, but computer hacking may be the fly in the ointment for this whole default system.  OK, now that I think about it… Default settings may not be the way to go.  Maybe I’ll just keep saying, “Yes, plastic bags are fine.  Thank you.







 

2 comments:

Pauline said...

I am thinking that the world already knows too much about us - you know, the Alexa thing and the MyChart thing. They say you should not have the same password for everything, but then they let you save it and your computer remembers it - so why not make it easier on yourself. And actually, I save money by saying "Paper Please".

Anonymous said...

If everyone said paper, we'd run out of trees.