Saturday, January 27, 2024

...it's your move.

 

I saw them as chess pieces.  Not all that far from each other, yet neither one was aware of the other.  I was the connection.  They both knew me.  It wasn’t until years later when I thought about the friends that come and go, in and out of our lives and the thought of introducing them to each other popped into my head.

By now, of course, they were both old, the majority of their lives behind them.  Making new friends at this stage of the game would be a stretch, but I thought I’d try it anyway.

I sent them both a letter, introducing them to each other, while explaining that I was the connection.   Like two castles, one on each end of the block.  Both were great people, each had enjoyed a wonderful marriage, and each of their husbands had passed away.

I saw everything they had experienced as common events to talk about.  Even though it would take a little initiative for one of them to go to the other’s house and ring the bell for the first time.  Once they had passed that hurdle, a new friendship would be born.  I envisioned them meeting for tea, maybe once a week, sharing their stories and becoming comfortable with each other.  Maybe, eventually sending me a picture of the both of them together, smiling and giving me a thumbs up.

At the time of this writing I have yet to hear from either of them, but I still hold out hope.  


Maybe some day…



 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

That's an awesome idea - can't have too many friends, and true friends are really hard to come by. Kind of like a really cool brother!