Tuesday, January 23, 2024

It was an ordinary chair

 


    Looking at it when a stream of sunlight coming through the window struck it, somehow it made it seem more important.

    Occasionally a friend would sit in it and the friend’s personality took over.  The chair wasn’t even noticeable.

    Only once did a salesman sit in it.  He had come to the door selling timeshares.  Not only had I never before heard of a door-to-door timeshare salesman, but no matter what he said, I didn’t believe a word of it.  Neither did the chair.

    We had seen it all, the chair and I.  Now it was being carted away.  Secondhand store owners were hauling it out of my front door, for no other reason than “She” didn’t like it.  …said it didn’t fit in.

    I could see this was going to be an adjustment.  Every time I saw her, I’d think of that chair.  I remember for a long time it was just the two of us.  I knew I had to decide -  did I like her more than I missed the chair. 

    She left me that following Spring for an old high school flame.

    The first time I saw the sunlight come in and hit the carpet where the chair once sat, I went to the junk drawer and searched for the business card of the secondhand store, hoping I wasn’t too late.





 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

And it should also be noted that "That Chair" holds great memories and sitting in the sunlight in your chair not only is beneficial but calming as well. I am sure it was still there, and I can picture you enjoying many more beautiful sunny moments and memories as you continue to age together.