Monday, March 30, 2020

A Tattered Sail

Twas a foggy night in Gloucester
and drunk, some say, was I
fer breakin port, n' castin off
where ocean meets the sky.
and no one sailed away that night
but me, myself and I.
The bellowed sails arched forward
the mast gave dreadful moans,
as the biting winds came sharply through
with haunting, chilling tones.
no one stood the watch that night
but I, myself alone.
An hour out of Gloucester
and a nightmare out to sea,
I found the storm that laid in wait,
that waited there for me.
and face her is 
what I would do
upon the rolling sea.
The bow she plunged a mile deep
the waves crashed on the deck,
while I lay grip upon the helm
rain washed down my neck.
Now fear can travel to the heart
a storm the soul can weather,
and all my spirit drained that night
to hold that ship together.
Every line and buckle snapped
and every plank there be -
gave cries of death and dying,
as they twisted under me.
and no one ever felt as close
as I did to the sea.
Now the story from the mainland
and up and down the coast,
has torn apart my sturdy ship
and turned me to a ghost.
But I swear to you
on summer nights,
from the Gloucester Pup-N-Ale
upon the cold Atlantic face
some still can see me sail.
Out where the ocean meets the sky
some see a tattered sail.






Z. Corwin
















1 comment:

Pauline said...

Amazing! I felt like I was there on that ship!