Monday, March 30, 2020

A Man of Letters


Stanley Black & Decker
1000 Stanley Drive
New Britain, CT 06053



Dear Grass Trimming Design Team,

I purchased a Black & Decker Grass Hog, trimmer / edger, No. GH400, Type 5 and for the first summer it was great.  In fact, it was outstanding.  My wife and I both love the “No Bump” technology.   I am 63 and my wife is 60, and we do not have any children.  I mention this so you will understand that our things are not subjected to children or teenagers.  In the world of (Normal Wear), our items receive the very low end of normal wear. 

With this information, you will understand my concern when at the beginning of the second summer of use; we notice the plastic bracket is already failing.  (See photo)

Initially I would have thought you would make such a high stress point out of cast aluminum, as it would hold under normal pressure, and yet not be as expensive as steel.   However, I guess in such a competitive market, plastic is the way to go.  But even someone who hasn’t the foggiest understanding of leverage, stress factors and things that go bump in the night, can see that this is designed to fail.

Why would you do such a thing?  I kept asking myself that question and then last night it came to me:  you wouldn’t.  Of course not - you went to school; you got degrees with your name on them.  They are probably up on your wall for everyone to see.  No, it has to be Management.  Someone upstairs decided to cut some corners, and low and behold, the Customer gets screwed.

I have taken my B&D Trimmer / Edger to two hardware stores that sell B&D products, but no one has a replacement bracket.  The last salesperson suggested I look on-line.  I did, but without success, so I have taken some plastic cement, and half a roll of electrical tape, and have made a functional, albeit unsightly repair. 

My only request to you is that the next time you see one of those cost-cutting Management types walking down the hall, you stop them, look them in the eye and say, ZC thinks you’re a jerk.


I would really appreciate it.


Thank you.


Zobostic Corwin




PS

You may also want to tell them to change their slogan.  Driven by a Passion for Excellence” just does not match up with what they are actually doing.














1 comment:

Pauline said...

WOW - Awesome Letter!!! Any response yet???