Saturday, October 12, 2019

Texas Holdem


I found myself at the final table of the World Poker Tour.  I had no recollection as to how I had gotten there.  Several faces around the table looked familiar and I seemed to be the current chip leader.  I glanced back at my cards.  I was holding two queens.  The dealer had turned over a pair of sixes and a nine of spades. 

The bet came around to me.  Two pair was a decent hand but I didn’t raise, I just called.  The next card turned over was a queen.  Now I had a full house but I didn’t want to scare anyone off.  When it came around to me I raised 40 thousand.  Based on the current pot that was a moderate bet.  Not over the top.  Two people called and the rest folded. 

The next card turned up was another nine.  Now there were two pair showing on the table but with my three queens I felt confident.  I was excited to hear “All in” from across the table.  A massive pile of chips was pushed into the pot.  The player next to him tossed in their cards.  It was up to me.  This bet was going to take most of my chips.  I studied the table.  Even if they had a pair of nines, my full house would win.

I heard myself call and I flipped my queens over to reveal my full house.  Suddenly I saw him smile.  He turned over two sixes.  He had four of a kind.  I lost.  The noise from the audience was deafening.  I felt a little light headed and sick to my stomach at the same time.

The chips were being scooped away from me.  I was done.  I had just enough chips left to tip the dealer.  I walked around the table and shook his hand and as I left the playing arena I glanced back at my queens.  I could swear one of them was smirking at me.



No comments: