Wednesday, October 23, 2019

A Stretch




        Last Thursday we had a man come in and stretch out the bumps in our carpet.  Although I don't really know how they got there, the bumps somehow developed.  At first it was just a matter of stepping over them, but as they grew they became like hurdles.  We, as well as the cat, would have to get a running start down the hall to get up and over them.

          The carpet guy was right on time and was the kind of person who was instantly likable.  Although he was a talker, he wasn't simply jabbering.  He was very knowledgeable in a large variety of subjects.  If you remember a character named Stretch Cunningham on the old Archie Bunker show, well that is what Tom, the carpet guy, looked like. 

          In the short time he was here I got an education about carpet, carpet stretching, gardening, growing and drying spices, the problem with carpeted stairs, his work history, his neighbors, and his Mother.

          At one point I thought I was listening to a detective as he described our living habits down to a tee just by looking at the wear, and traffic patterns throughout the house.  

          I hadn't even known there were Carpet Bump Guys.  I don't recall it ever being mentioned during Career Day in High School. 

          After he left I was still thinking about the wide variety, and depth of knowledge he had.   I expect it was acquired after many years of coming face to face with all of the things people sweep under the rug.  




ZC




No comments: