Friday, April 12, 2019

Snowbird

Don't stay the winter snowbird
on ice your feet might slip
your wings unfit for crutches
should you fall and break a hip,

Fly South my fragile snowbird
to the Sun, the sand and sky
join pelicans and seagulls
stay warm and safe and dry,

Send to me a postcard
from where weathers always kind
share the life of summer
with those you left behind,

Don't stay the winter snowbird
it's so bitter, cold and bleak
food supplies are frozen
 I fear you'll crack your beak,

Return in spring dear snowbird
when leaves and tulips bloom
when frost has left the window pane
and gone is winter's gloom,

Fly back to us tan snowbird
more chicken than the rest
the slightest hint of winter
you abandoned your own nest.



Z. Corwin





1 comment:

Pauline said...

Loved it when you emailed it to me - Love it again re-reading it here! Will Love it even more when I read it in a magazine or book!!!