Saturday, December 29, 2018

Nature doesn't understand exceptions




It is with my imagination that I can recreate mental images of wild turkeys running about the snow-covered woods.  I can envision deer wandering between the trees searching for tidbits, just as I see them from my chair in the den. 

I need not imagine the cold, as I can feel it seeping in between tiny cracks and crevices, I know it penetrates the flimsy glass windows and it easily gets in around the big sliding glass door.

What I want to know is why?  Why does the cold try so hard to come inside?  What’s the point?  Warmth and cold are not like magnets, attracting each other.  One isn’t rubber and one glue…

So just what does warmth have that cold wants so badly that it keeps trying to get in?

OK, after some very technical thought, that is, the thoughts were not technical, but rather the technical aspects of warm and cold, I’ve come up with a hypothesis.

I believe shade is the link.  In other words, light and shadow affect cold and warm.  Warm seems to prosper in the bright sunlight, while I always seem to find cold huddled in dark basements, and under big oak trees, where the sun isn’t.

So, because I’m here inside, under the roof of my house where there is an abundance of shade, the cold thinks it’s supposed to be in here with me.

Little does it know, houses are the exception to the rule.



   

No comments: