Friday, February 16, 2018

The Time Capsule

We set our beach chairs and umbrella just down a ways from the condo. We knew we'd have lots of time to read our books as it was currently low tide. We'd have hours of sun and leisure time before the waves worked their way back in.  No one else was around, with the exception of several surfers out hoping to catch the big one.

I had not noticed it but Wanda pointed out a child's pail and shovel just to our left.  I got up from my beach chair, no easy feat, and sat down on the sand next to the pail.  I told Wanda I was going to build a sand castle.  She told me I looked like an idiot.  I ignored her and started building my foundation.  I couldn't even remember doing this as a kid, but I must have.  It was fun, although I wasn't sure how I was going to get back up again.

As I dug, my shovel struck something buried in the sand.  I continued to dig it up and quickly discovered it was a mayonnaise jar.  The lid was screwed on tight and the jar had been filled with trinkets.  My guess was that it was a child's time capsule.  How cool.  I looked over to show Wanda but she had fallen asleep.

I didn't want to mess with it but as I looked through the jar I could see a small, plastic Army man, a troll doll, two different Star Wars figures, and some things I wasn't sure of.  Immediately I thought how fun it would be if I added something.  Whenever the kids came back to dig up their time capsule they'd be quite surprised to find a new treasure.

I went back to the condo and got a Crown Royal bag and I rolled up a two dollar bill to put in it.  Back on the beach I opened the jar and stuffed the bag inside.  All I had to do now was bury it again.  I put it back in the same hole, covered it up and smoothed over my footprints.  It looked like no one had been there.

I then went back to my beach chair and opened my book to where I had left off.  Just then Wanda woke up and looked over at me. 

"How's your book?"

It's not all that good.  I'm thinking of burying it and let someone in the future read it.







1 comment:

Pauline said...

Should have planted a little spy camera inside the jar as well so you could have caught their expressions as they opened up that jar. Te He P