Friday, February 17, 2017

It's a long story...


 
 
 

Several years ago I spotted a watch I liked.  After questioning
the clerk for some time about the quality and dependability I ended up buying it.
 
The watch preformed many more functions than I would 
ever need or use, but it seemed substantial and I liked the way it looked.
 
One day at the office my cohorts and I heard a strange 
beeping coming from the wall thermostat. We called building maintenance and had them check it out.  They could find nothing wrong.
 
A week later it started up again.  We called the maintenance
department and they replaced the thermostat.
 
The following week two office mates scooted their chairs
over to me.  They both started laughing.  The mysterious beep was coming from my watch.
 
Unable to decipher the operating instructions and disarm 
the watch, I stopped wearing it.  I tossed it in my dresser drawer and forgot about it.
 
Three years later, lying in bed, my wife says, 
"What's that beeping?"
 
We get up and begin searching the room.  Of course, 
my watch had once again come to life.
 
I carried the watch out to the living room and placed it 
inside the bottom of the grandfather clock, thinking no one will ever hear it inside this monstrosity.
 
Apparently the internal cavity of the grandfather clock 
acted like an echo chamber.  We could hear the beep loud and clear.
 
Now, as you can see from the photographs, the watch 
hangs under the paper towels out in the garage.
 
Maybe, later this summer, if it still insists on beeping, 
I’ll place it on Craigslist, under ANNOYANCE FOR SALE.
 
Best offer.
 
 


No comments: