Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Ice Cream Shop


I was in the back seat not really paying attention to where we were going or how we were getting there; pretty much just going along for the ride.

After a short time the car stopped and we were all climbing out.  Apparently we had arrived.

My first impression of the building was its age.  I could see it was quite old, and like a weary old man it had had some work done over the years.  Judging by the foundation I'd guess a knee replacement or two.  The windows were quite hard to see through and should have gone through several prescription changes by now. I felt it was trying hard to look young and sturdy, like the newer structure across the road.  I didn't say anything, but I think the roof looked to be thinning a little as well.

The inside surprised me; it seemed to be a blend of old and new.  The wooden floors were solid and didn't squeak as we walked across to the counter, and just like a much younger person it was filled with ice cream.  Each flavor sounded better than the next; it was hard to decide what to order.

The walls were hung with giant black and white photographs from years back,  just as an old man's mind would be filled with the thoughts of old friends and the times of his youth.  One of the boys in the center photograph was the great grandfather of the owner of the building.  Dispensing ice cream was a new tradition, and it seemed to suit the place.

As we sat on the large front porch enjoying our cones, the owner walked around the corner and introduced himself.  He was a pleasant man and enjoyed telling us about the history of the building as well as of his family, who had come directly from Poland years ago.  He was much like the building itself, full of ambition and ice cream but well worn around the edges.  He spoke of his plans for expansion and possible new business ventures with a spark that I wouldn't have put so close to the old porch.

I didn't want our time there to stop, but cones and conversations had come to an end.  As we said good-bye and climbed back into the car, I wanted so much to turn and run back.  I wanted to climb up into one of those black & white pictures and tell those people what a great thing they were a part of.  I wanted to bring two handfuls of ice cream cones with me, hand them out and say, "Here, try this, it's amazing. And years from now your great grandson will be making this right here.”

But I couldn't even see the building in the side mirror any more.  We had moved on and my thoughts of a time travel adventure quickly melted.

 

 


1 comment:

Pauline said...

Sounds like a place I would like to sit and enjoy a cone at!!