Monday, December 30, 2013

Kansas

 
 
Miles per hour
the wind blew so hard


Things that were inside
flew out to the yard -


Rosemary, parsley, shoe laces
wheat –
 
Hair spray, tooth paste
socks for my feet –
 
Goldfish and castles
a spoon from my hand
 
Stop watches, Grandfather
hour-glass sand -
 
 
It sucked up the vacuum
and left there instead

A cuddle of bunnies
from under the bed -
 
10 Birthday candles
once again blown -
 
and curtains with seams
no longer sewn


The wind blew so hard
and came with it rain


It made every window
feel all the pane -


It blew out the chair
where I sat and read


and left someone's Chevy
parked there instead -


Milk bottles tipped
& lay on their side

tears that were shed
now already dried -

 
 After the storm
when rubble is thick

that's when a branch
becomes just a stick -

A sad sight indeed
not much left to say -

For still in my laces
I too blew away.

 
 

 
 
 
 


No comments: