Friday, November 1, 2013

Trailer Park Recipe


     I see the trailer park as a kind of mixing bowl into which everything in the kitchen has been tossed.

    There are quite a few marshmallows, some hard boiled eggs and of course an assortment of nuts.  It is the blending of these things at various temperatures that result in occasional screams, the breaking of glass and once in a great while a gun shot - like an oven door slamming shut - causing various elements to quickly fall. 

     I write this not from first hand experience but from a lifetime of seeing Hollywood portray them as undesirable.  They occupy a place in life which is always the farthest point possible from glamorous, causing even the dogs assigned there to yap instead of bark.

     Had I Hemmingway’s pen I’d be hard- pressed not to place a scruffy motorcycle in front of 1165 Dusty Trails, or a smattering of old newspapers around the mail box just down the street, all containing dismal headlines.  Perhaps it is only my mental image of trailer parks that remains unkempt. 

     I may have to start flossing between thoughts just to scrape away the build-up of preconceived notions.

 

     I'll start by trying to picture them in color.

 

 

 

No comments: