Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Frosted Mug


 


 

I wasn’t Irish but I knew the tune –


my winter coat I shed -

for it was neigh the 10th of June

at least so in my head.

 

I’d shut off thoughts of winter squalls -

several months too soon -

now I.V. drips through sterile halls

here in the month of June.

 

It’s where I died of coughing fits

they dug the Earth unfroze -

and wedged me in a long pine box

so slight it pinched my toes.

 

I wasn’t Irish but had the flair

to tip a pint of Stout -

and knew my Pals would after dark

show up to dig me out.

 

For pickled all these many years

one foot upon the rail –

no snivel gets the best of me

while still a pint of Ale.

 

I rose and shook this death away

and with my Pals did flee -

for though I am not Irish

the tune it knows of me.

 

 

 

Zobostic Corwin

 

 

 

No comments: