Saturday, October 9, 2021

His Last Performance

 

October 14, 2020

 

It began years ago, although I do not remember the movie, I do remember Charles Grodin’s performance.  It was great.  He could make me laugh with just a simple facial expression. 

Of course, later, the more he was getting discovered the more movies we would see him in.  It seemed no mater what role he did, he put himself out there and stole the show.

Eventually I started buying his books.  He is a great writer and excellent storyteller.  In my personal collection I have the following books:

It would be so nice if you weren’t here.

How I get through life

We’re ready for you Mr. Grodin

And

I like it better when you’re funny

 

So it will come as no surprise to those of you who know me, I sat down and wrote him a letter. 

Keep in mind, this was something I took very seriously.  This letter was going to be my introduction.  It had to be perfect.  If you are familiar with my blog then you’ll know, there always seems to be a type-o or miss-spelled word, or whacky indentation someplace.  Anyway, I didn’t want to rush through this letter like I tend to do.  I wanted to take my time, check and then double check.  Then, when I thought it was perfect, I set it aside for a few days so I could come back to it later, with fresh eyes.  I took no chances.

This letter had to have the perfect greeting, considering he didn’t know me from Adam.  I wanted it to sound homey, yet still professional.  I needed to re-read it just to see if I changed tenses anywhere along the way.  I sometimes do that – apparently.

I didn’t want to come off sounding crazed, or like some lunatic.  I just wanted it to be a nice letter that he would enjoy reading.

Finally the day came.  I had done my homework.  I had previous correspondence from Johnny Carson’s Tonight Show, back when I first attempted to locate his mailing address.  Turns out, I didn’t need any of that, I found it through Google with very little effort.

Then came the mailing process.  I didn’t want to just stick it out in my mailbox for the postman to eventually pick it up.  No, not this letter.  I drove it to the post office and watched as the lady behind the counter tossed it in the outgoing basket.

Okay, it was on its way.  Now all I had to do was wait.  Maybe he would write back, maybe he wouldn’t.  It was exciting just to think that Charles Grodin would someday be sitting in his favorite chair, a refreshing beverage within reach and read a letter from Harvey.  How cool was that?

 

 


He never even opened it.

All he had to do was throw it away.  I would have lived happily ever after thinking he had read my letter.


Please add my great disappointment to
The Charles Grodin estate.





 

 

1 comment:

Pauline said...

And the was HIS Great Mistake!!